Windows DNS Server Not Responding Problem
In this digital era, almost everyone uses internet and there are are several kind of errors which people often faces. While some basic Windows errors can be fixed easily just by troubleshooting it using Windows built-in troubleshooter, but some need manual work. While browsing internet, you might have faced “DNS Server is Not Responding Error” too. DNS server not responding error on Windows is one of the most annoying error as most of the internet users faces and it doesn’t even tell you about its cause and the culprit. If you are facing this error too, then you can try clearing browser data and the cache, but that may cause data loss.
As I said that this is a very common error among Windows users, but still many users doesn’t know about it. If you are among them who is facing your computer is trying to use a DNS server that is incorrect error then here on this page you can find methods to solve DNS server is not responding error on Windows. Basically when you visit a website, then internet doesn’t uses it’s web address to locate, but uses server IP or called DNS server to show you the website contents. When your internet fails to locate or DNS server doesn’t respond, it shows you that your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding problem.
- Must Read About: Top Best Root Apps 2018
Before following any methods mentioned below we would like to recommend that you should try some basic tasks to fix this error. You can try opening the same website in a different browser to see if it’s a browser related problem to really DNS server is not responding. You can also try clearing browser cache and cookies because sometimes it works for this error. If you have any other device at home, then try opening the website in it, and check if DNS Server Unavailable error still shows. If yes, then follow the steps mentioned below to fix it.
- 1 Windows DNS Server Not Responding Problem
- 2 How To Fix DNS Server Not Responding Error In Windows 10/8.1/7
- 2.1 Method #1. Change The DNS Server Addresses
- 2.2 Method #2. Flush DNS To Fix DNS Server Not Responding
- 2.3 Method #3. Disable Unused Networks [Most Worked Method]
- 2.4 Method #4. DNS Server Not Responding Fix: Change MAC Address
- 2.5 “Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding”
- 2.6 Method #5. Install Latest Network Adapter Drivers
- 2.7 Method #6. More Methods To Solve DNS Server Not Responding Windows
- 3 Final Words
What Does DNS Server Not Responding Error Mean?
DNS stands for Domain Name System and this is the only system which is responsible for converting alphanumeric domain names into numeric IP addresses. Whenever a user types web address in his browser, the address is further sent to DNS server. If the response from the (Domain Name Server) DNS server doesn’t fail, then the website opens correctly. While if the response fails, you can not access the website and the error message “The (Domain Name Server) DNS server is not responding” appear.
Causes of Domain Name Server Not Responding Error:
This error can often caused because of server outage and in that cause you’ll have to wait for the website go get in the running position back to access it. While causes of this problem can be different for everyone and some of them are listed below:
- The server which you are trying to access my be temporarily down due to technical reasons.
- The DNS service in your computer is corrupted or not working.
- There are chances that the firewall or security software of your system might have blocked your PC from communicating with a website or certain websites.
- Also get some free zbigz premium account on this website.
How To Fix DNS Server Not Responding Error In Windows 10/8.1/7
Method #1. Change The DNS Server Addresses
Your system automatically obtain DNS servers whenever you connect the internet, but sometimes it fails to do so. If the DNS server is not responding, then you can try using OpenDNS and Google DNS servers manually for your system. They both are considered as best DNS servers around the world. Here’s how to use them manually.
- First of all right on the network icon from the task bar of your Windows computer, and click on Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Once you are in Open Network and Sharing Center, you’ll find the internet connection you are using.
- Under it’s name, click on Local Area Connection and then select Properties.
- Now a new window will pop-up on your screen, now find and select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Then click on Properties.
- You will be taken to IPv4 settings of your computer, now by default Obtain DNS server address automatically will be select.
- Select the other option: Use the following DNS server Addresses
- Then in the Preferred DNS Server field type in 126.96.36.199 and in the Alternate DNS Server field type in 188.8.131.52 then check Validate Settings Upon Exit box and click OK.
- Once you have done this, just restart your system once to make changes to it.
Method #2. Flush DNS To Fix DNS Server Not Responding
You can also use Command Prompt to fix DNS server not responding issues by flushing the DNS of your system. This problem can also be caused by corrupted IP and Winsock, so you can use CMD commands to fix this issue. You can also find Best Websites To Bypass Online Surveys on this website. If you don’t know who to flush DNS in Windows using Command Prompt, then you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- First of all right click on the start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) to run CMD with administrative privileges.
- When you are in CMD window, just put below commands one by one and keep pressing Enter after each command:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset
- One you’ve ran all of the above mentioned commands in CMD window, just restart computer and check if the problem is fixed.
Method #3. Disable Unused Networks [Most Worked Method]
Windows have some network connections installed which don’t get used by any other programs or by Windows itself. You can try disabling them so that you don’t have any kind of connection issue. This is one of the best method to fix primary DNS server not responding Windows 8.1/10/7. If you don’t know where to find these connections, then just follow the steps mentioned below.
- First of all press Windows Key + R to open RUN box.
- Now, in run box type ncpa.cpl and press enter.
- A new window will open with all of the connections available for your system.
- You can also find the network connections by navigating to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.
- Now you can find out which connection are you using for internet access and can disable other one by one to check which connection was creating problem.
- If you are still facing Device or resource (DNS Server) is not responding problem, then you can try other methods mentioned below.
- Must Read About: Sites To Download New Movies
Method #4. DNS Server Not Responding Fix: Change MAC Address
If you don’t know, then let us tell you that every network hardware compopent have it’s own unique MAC address assigned to it. Though this setting should remain unchanged, but sometimes when you want to solve DNS server is not responding error in Windows, then you might need to enter your MAC address manually. You can also follow below steps to fix DNS server not responding Windows 7:
- First of all open CMD window will Admin rights or simply press Windows key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- When you are in Command Prompt window, just enter ipconfig /all and press Enter.
- Now wait for few seconds and a list of network related settings will show up on your screen.
- Now scroll down and locate Physical Address and write it down somewhere so you can remember it.
- You can close the CMD window now.
- Open Network Connections now, either from Control Panel, or by right clicking network icon in taskbar and selecting Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Now select your current network, right click on it and select Properties from drop down menu.
- A new pop-up window will appear on your screen, and you have to click on Configure.
- Another new pop up will appear on your screen and you just have to navigate to Advanced tab and select Network Address from the Property list.
- In the right side, select Value and enter the MAC address which you have copied before from the CMD window.
- Do note that you don’t have to put any dashes in the MAC address and just paste it without dashes.
- Now simply click OK to save changes.
“Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding”
Method #5. Install Latest Network Adapter Drivers
All of the softwares and hardware runs on drivers and needed latest drivers in order to work properly. There are chances that why are you facing DNS server is not responding error is because of out-dated network drivers. Now you can either visit the network adapter manufacturer’s website to download the latest drivers, or use Windows built-in device manager feature to look for latest drivers of your network adapaters. Here’s how to do it:
- First of all right click on the start button or press Windows Key + X and select Device Manager from the list.
- Now a new window will appear on your screen with all of the hardware installed.
- Now scroll down and locate your network adapter. Expand the category and select your network adapter.
- Right on the network adapter you are using and select Uninstall. If a confirmation box appears on your screen, then just select Delete driver software for this device and click OK.
- Once the drivers are uninstalled for your network adapter, just restart your system once to make changes.
- When you will start your system again, then the default network driver will be installed automatically.
- Now you can check whether the DNS server is not responding fix worked or not.
Method #6. More Methods To Solve DNS Server Not Responding Windows
Try Connecting in Safe Mode
Whenever you are facing any problems with your computer or something like DNS server isn’t responding Windows 10, then you can trying booting it into Safe Mode. Safe Mode is one of the best way to know that if any third party software is blocking the internet or there are some other issues. To do this, just restart your device, and hold down the F8 key. A list of all possible booting options will get displayed on your screen, just select Safe mood with networking and press Enter.
Once booted you can check whether you are able to use internet or not. This method will surly help you to solve the DNS server not responding error.
Disable Your Firewall and Anti-Virus
Though antivirus and firewall are necessary components for Windows devices to keep your device secure, but sometimes they may interfere your connection with the internet. If you are getting error messages like comcast DNS server not responding, or Device or resource (DNS Server) is not responding, then you can try disabling them for once.
If you’re using Bit-defender, you need to go to Firewall settings and disable Block Internet connection sharing option. If you are using Avast, then to fix Windows DNS server not responding problem, simply open Avast settings and disable Secure DNS option.
DNS server error is one of the most irritating error one can face while using internet. This error stops your computer to receive and send data to the severs. If you are also getting some error messages like your computer is trying to use a DNS server that is incorrect, then you may need to fix it to visit those specific websites like pnb net banking registration website. Do note that this error is not related to just internet, but some Windows 10 users have reported that are getting DNS server not responding error in Windows 10 WiFi too.
Though there are many ways to fix DNS server not responding error and you can do it yourself using troubleshooter. We have mentioned top working methods to fix Windows DNS server not responding error Windows 8.1/7. If you know about some more methods to solve Device or resource (DNS Server) is not responding problem, then do let us know about them via comments below.